Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Taking on the big town!

Sydney and I ventured a trip to Washington a couple weeks ago...and by venture, what I really mean is, we took the city by storm.

Sydney is my little sidekick. The cuter counterpart who loves to travel and take on new adventures as much as I do...if not more... so when I suggested "Let's take a trip to Washinton, DC and attend Hill Day with Melanoma Research  Foundation", of course she said, " Why not..sounds like fun!"

So, emails sent, hotel and bus tickets book..a plan was enacted.  Hours later, we arrived in DC and one of my favorite places to be is in a train station. Union Station is no different. I have no idea why I love train stations so much but I have yet to be in one I dislike. Maybe it stems back to my 16 year old self, riding trains through Europe or the idea of just going somewhere new..it's nestalgic.

And surprisingly so...DC, although it has many homeless, it feels safe. And clean. Even at 10pm.

Tourist moments aside, we were there on an agenda. To learn how to best advocate for more funding and focus upon melanoma research. We listened and learned about the judicial system, how laws become laws and get passed, how to speak ro our state legislative members & how to best be heard. We became empowered in our voice.

But the most important part for Sydney and I was connecting with Melanoma warriors and supporters in all sizes, shapes, ages and experiences.  We were amongst giants. We were amongst people individually making small efforts but collectively, making a big difference.  Most of all, as a mom, I watched a light ignite in Sydney. It wasn't long before Sydney had a 2 year old melanoma patient on her lap, snapping selfies. ( he is currently under chemotherapy treatment- one would never know)  We met Mason and Graham, Isaac and others...they all mattered.

We also met Suzanne, who in her own right, has an amazing story.  She is a stage 4 survivor- 6 years ago, had a mole removed from her hip with 5 years NED. Then a scan revealed tumors on her liver and lungs. They were removed or treated but after she collapsed at work, they discovered brain tumors. So 4 weeks before meeting her in DC, Suzanne had brain surgery. I was impressed by her calmness as she shared her story. I was awed at her beauty. She reminded me why this is such an important  mission.  She was alive because of current research and drug therapies.  I am alive because I had a doctor willing to try something brand new, a treatment  never attempted before. She and I were living proof we needed to keep getting the word out about melanoma awareness, research and press forward so others had equal access to good healthcare, treatment options and the best outcome possible!

So off we went to the Capital on a BEAUTIFUL spring day. It was marvelous.  The various offices we visited were receptive and willing to listen as we shared our stories, shared current melanoma materials and took a moment to just enjoy this time.

So...it was a life changing moment for Sydney and I. We will do it again. We made new friends. We grew deeper in appreciation for melanoma warriors. We felt confident in the suppprt we received from Melanoma Research Foundation.

Next year, we will do it again!

In the meantime, Sydney has now started her own blog. The girl continues to amaze me.

www.standagainstthesun.blogspot.com

3 comments:

  1. Melanoma de coróide é o câncer mais comum a acometer o olho nos adultos. Também é chamado de melanoma ocular ou melanoma uveal. A incidência anual de melanoma ocular é de aproximadamente 10 casos para cada milhão de habitantes, isso quer dizer que a cada milhão de pessoas temos 10 casos por ano. No Brasil temos aproximadamente 2 mil casos desta doença por ano.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Robert Mary
    I’m a citizen of United Kingdom, My younger sister was Sicking of
    breast cancer and her name is Robert Jane, I and my family have taking
    her to all kind of hospital in UK still yet no good result. I decided
    to go to the internet and search for cancer cure so that was how I
    find a lady called Sarah peter she was testifies to the world about
    the goodness of a herbal man who has the root and half to cure all
    kind of disease and the herbal email was there. So I decided to
    contact the herbal man for my younger sister help to cure her breast
    cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I
    should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that
    there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it
    and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I
    receive the cure that I am in UK, he told me
    That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can
    transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid
    for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the
    courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to,
    before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a
    dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very
    happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5
    million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad,but I don't know why he did not accept the offer,he only said
    I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now
    here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any
    kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact
    Dr.ogididanspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +2347067393105, website:> drogididherbalhome.wordpress.com message him on instragram dr.ogididan for the cure, he will help you out
    with any problems you have.To get more information you can message me via email robertmary8947@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  3. thanks for sharing info
    for more info please visit here:-
    https://www.drniteshbansal.com/

    ReplyDelete